How much gold was on the Titanic?

Discuss the RMS Titanic here.

How much gold was on the Titanic?

Postby Aaron2010 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 am

How much gold was Titanic carrying? I remember a few years ago someone told me this information could not be released for legal reasons until 100 years after the transaction took place i.e. 1912 - 2012. It is now 2012. Has the amount been released yet? ITN News talked about Titanic's Gold in 1985 and they showed a book of records. They said:

"The Commercial Union Insurance Company officially owns the wreck and the Lloyds Loss book shows she was carrying millions of pounds in gold, diamonds and jewellery."

Aaron2010

Re: How much Gold was on the Titanic?

Postby Eric K. Longo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:05 am

I don't think she had an exceptional amount of gold at all. I will be corrected soon enough if I am wrong.

Eric :)
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Re: How much gold was on the Titanic?

Postby VW1956 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:41 am

Hello Aaron2010. I dont know how much gold was being carried. Was there any gold in the safe that got brought up? In a way every piece of Titanic down there is sort of gold as it is worth probably more than gold itself. What I mean is if you had a key made of gold it would not be worth as much as a real key from Titanic. Do you think if Titanic had been carrying gold it would have gone in the hold? Ken
VW1956

Re: How much gold was on the Titanic?

Postby Dave Gittins » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 am

I posted something on this earlier but something went wrong. Probably me!

The book proves nothing. It was merely a diary Lloyd's kept. It recorded each wreck as it was reported. There's nothing about cargo, cost or deaths. Oddly enough, the last entry before Titanic is Songvaar, which sank in my home waters. It's said she settled down on her anchor when the tide dropped and flooded when it rose. People dive on her.

After the sinking, the insurers took pains to explain that nobody lost a lot of money, because the risk was spread over many companies and individuals. They didn't like it and raised premiums, but they didn't go broke. If a great amount of gold had been lost there would have been some howling. The story is just another beat-up.

When Empress of Ireland sank, tales were told of fabulous treasure on board. In her case, divers could reach the safe and recover it. It was found to contain a few dollars, mostly to pay the crew. There were some red faces.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Return to RMS Titanic