Layout

Discuss the RMS Titanic here.

Layout

Postby titanicobsesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:16 pm

how different was titanics layout to britannic before she was a war ship? I can't seem to find many pictures of her interior :/
i know i asked for ice but this is ridiculous!
Let the Titanic rest in peace as a memorial to the arrogance of man and his presumption of god
titanicobsesser

Re: Layout

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:33 pm

titanicobsesser wrote:how different was titanics layout to britannic before she was a war ship? I can't seem to find many pictures of her interior :/

Outside was almost the same, the only difference was on the stern and on the davits as far as I know!

I don't know about the interior though!
"No, thank you. We are dressed in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen"
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby titanicobsesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I am right in think she was first outfitted as a passenger ship then refitted as a hospitalship before she even carried 1 passenger?
Let the Titanic rest in peace as a memorial to the arrogance of man and his presumption of god
titanicobsesser

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 pm

titanicobsesser wrote:I am right in think she was first outfitted as a passenger ship then refitted as a hospitalship before she even carried 1 passenger?

She was in the process of fitting out when she was taken over by Admiralty to serve as a Hospital ship. With other words, she was half finished. Several of her interior stuff was removed again but not all. Some cabins were left as they were, (in some of them there was a chair from the 1st class dining room!) the panelling in the dining room was left, which became the operation room and the "grand staircase" was still having the dome (and stairs of course).
I think it was in the late 1990s when divers went inside the forward grand staircase and found the dome still in place.

She never sailed with paying passengers. Her maiden voyage was as hospital ship.
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Ioannis Georgiou wrote:
titanicobsesser wrote:I am right in think she was first outfitted as a passenger ship then refitted as a hospitalship before she even carried 1 passenger?

She was in the process of fitting out when she was taken over by Admiralty to serve as a Hospital ship. With other words, she was half finished. Several of her interior stuff was removed again but not all. Some cabins were left as they were, (in some of them there was a chair from the 1st class dining room!) the panelling in the dining room was left, which became the operation room and the "grand staircase" was still having the dome (and stairs of course).
I think it was in the late 1990s when divers went inside the forward grand staircase and found the dome still in place.

She never sailed with paying passengers. Her maiden voyage was as hospital ship.

Yes the dome is still intact at the forward Grand Staircase! It is damaged sure but recognizable and in good condition considering the ship is almost 100 years at the bottom of the sea!
"No, thank you. We are dressed in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen"
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby titanicobsesser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 pm

It's a shame only one of the sisters grew old and was dismantled :( White Star Line didn't have much luck thier shiny new ship sank on her maiden voyage and one got taken off them to be a war ship which also sank and became largely forgotton about :/ I wonder why there isn't much intrest behind britannic she was just as magnificent as Titanic (wasn't she bigger the Titanic) wonder if she wasn't a war grave they would have tried raising her after all she sank in one part
titanicobsesser

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:45 pm

titanicobsesser wrote:It's a shame only one of the sisters grew old and was dismantled :( White Star Line didn't have much luck thier shiny new ship sank on her maiden voyage and one got taken off them to be a war ship which also sank and became largely forgotton about :/ I wonder why there isn't much intrest behind britannic she was just as magnificent as Titanic (wasn't she bigger the Titanic) wonder if she wasn't a war grave they would have tried raising her after all she sank in one part

Here's an interesting topic for you ;)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1263
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:55 pm

titanicobsesser wrote:It's a shame only one of the sisters grew old and was dismantled

After Britannic sunk several of the panellings which were removed from the ship survived on land and were later sold, like panelling which was for the 1st class smoking room (which was looking completely different from the smoking room on Olympic & Titanic) so that some parts of her survived.
The organ which would have been in the forward 1st class staircase (nothing which Olympic or Titanic had) survived too; http://www.bundesmuseen.ch/musikautomat ... ml?lang=en
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby titanicobsesser » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:18 am

At least sinfully from all 3 ships has survived through history! I would love go to the hotel that has olympics fittings!
titanicobsesser

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 am

I recently went to see someone I know in Kea, and I was surprised from what I saw!

Many things from the Britannic still exist....in his home! Chairs, woods etc
Next time, I'll take a photo to show you although there's a documentary that shows many items from the Britannic that are now owned by Kea residents!

Lucky bastards! I cut a piece of wood to keep for it for myself :D
I'm know looking at it and I say to myself, omg, this once was on the Britannic.... ;)
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby VW1956 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:19 am

Hello Stergios. Wow. Many residents own items from Britannic. We want to see pictures. Well I do. And you cut a piece of wood. From what? Hope it wasn't from your friends table. And is there a link to the documentary about what the Kea residents have as I would really like to see that. I did not know that the dome was still on Britannic as I assumed it would have been removed as it would have been too dangerous to have on a ship in a time of war. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm

EvilEmperorZoRG GR wrote:I recently went to see someone I know in Kea, and I was surprised from what I saw!

Many things from the Britannic still exist....in his home! Chairs, woods etc
Next time, I'll take a photo to show you although there's a documentary that shows many items from the Britannic that are now owned by Kea residents!

Would be very interesting to see them!
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby titanicobsesser » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Is it true that you can dive to the wreck since it's not as deep as Titanic
titanicobsesser

Return to RMS Titanic