Scotland Road

Discuss the RMS Titanic here.

Scotland Road

Postby Aly Jones » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 am

Scotland road was said to contributed to titanics dismissed when water ran through it over the top of the bulkheads.

You think it's possible?
"Titanic gives impression of secrecy and mystique"
Aly Jones

Re: Scotland Road

Postby North 52 West » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:05 am

Hi Aly,
I think you mean demise rather than dismissed. It is possible than it didn't help having a corridor running the length of the ship filling with water but my guess would be that it only hastened the inevitable. Possibly she would have lasted half an hour more without Scotland Row but not much more. Remember she stayed afloat longer than her designer calculated.
:D Kaz :D
Oh hear us when we cry to thee, for those in peril on the sea
North 52 West

Postby Aly Jones » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 am

Remember she stayed afloat longer than her designer calculated.

Would you think Scotland road helped Titanic not too list leading too no capsizing making Titanic stay afloat longer.? All ships that had sunk 'past and present' capsized including Normandy to CC. Maybe Scotland road did help Titanic's sinking (over the bulkheads) but help her remain afloat up right until she sank.
Aly Jones

Postby Aaron2010 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Scotland Road was located on the port side and when the water reached E-deck the flooding caused the ship to keel over to port. The flooding may have delayed the downward tilt and bought the ship more time because the water would travel aft instead of up.

e.g.

Titanicflood2.JPG

Titanicflood3.JPG

Survivors said the ship was breaking apart before the sea had reached the bridge. I think the water rushed into the engine room and the enormous weight of the water and the engines ripped open the keel and the ship broke in two. Survivors saw the bow and stern rise at the same time. e.g. Mrs Ida Hippach said: "The steamer sank towards the center."

Titanicflood5.JPG

Titanicflood6.JPG

Last edited by Aaron2010 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron2010

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:08 am

The flooding may have delayed the downward tilt and bought the ship more time because the water would travel aft instead of up.
What does AFT mean?

All other ships that had sunk, prior and after Titanic, keel over completely? have a similar Scotland road as Titanic or not?

Those pictures are the same as how Jack Thayer drawn how Titanic had sunk. I always did believe Jack Thayer because he was the one that was there, we were not nor were any Titanic historians.
Aly Jones

Postby Gail » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 am

Aft means near or toward the stern of the ship.
Gail

Postby Aaron2010 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 pm

The water would flow backwards (aft) towards the rear, instead of pulling the bow down, it would actually level the ship on an even keel. This is probably why survivors said they could not feel any noticeable tilt downwards, but they could feel a strong list to port. e.g. When the ship was just moments away from breaking in two, survivor Charles Joughin said:

"I did not notice her being much down by the head."

Q - Do you mean that the list to port was more serious than being down by the head?

A - I thought so, yes.

I think the water roared up Scotland Road towards the aft and came down the aft staircase towards the engine room. Does anyone know how much weight would cause the keel to split open under the engines? I think the enormous weight of water filling the engine room plus the added weight of the engines themselves may have ripped open the keel and caused the ship to break in two.

Titanicflood3.JPG

Titanicflood7.JPG

Titanicflood8.JPG

Titanicflood9.JPG

Last edited by Aaron2010 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron2010

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:25 am

Totally Explains Jack Thayers drawings.

If Scotland Road wasn't there, would Titanic had survived?

Thanks Aaron and J benette.
Aly Jones

Postby Aaron2010 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:29 pm

If Scotland Road was not there, the ship would still sink. The water would simply find another way into the other compartment. e.g. pipes, doorways, hatchways, stairwells, etc. The weight of water trapped in the forward section would eventually burst open doors and perhaps break down a few walls.

Aaron2010

Return to RMS Titanic