Mauretania's Delivery Trip "North About" Oct. 22, 1907

Mauretania's Delivery Trip "North About" Oct. 22, 1907

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Hello :D

Today is October 22, 201 - 104 years since the Cunard Express Liner Mauretania began her delivery trip "North About" - I have assembled some images and captions about this trip here for anyone interested - the full story and all images (almost all previously unpublished and all restored) can be seen here at Lusitania author Eric Sauder's wonderful site Northatlanticrun.com (which also has incredible transcriptions of the original Olympic auction catalogs and many related documents as well as his experiences diving on Lusitania): http://northatlanticrun.com/735/Tyne_Departure.html

Charles Parsons’ 100-foot Turbinia, star of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Fleet Review of 1897 at Spithead where she astonished onlookers by racing at 34 knots, is dwarfed just 10 years later by the immense Mauretania in the early afternoon light on the morning of October 22, 1907, at Wallsend. (Detail from an unpublished, real-photograph postcard, by J. Taylor, 31 Carrick Street, Byker, Newcastle. Personal collection.)

This dynamic and rare candid snapshot of the Mauretania was taken October 22 from a tug tied to her immense stern just moments after parting from her gangway and mooring dolphins at the fitting-out basin. Lady Inverclyde rang the engine telegraph to start the Mauretania’s trip down the Tyne and the time was entered in the log as 2 p.m., much later than initially planned. The churning water of her wake gives an impression of the power of her four massive, seventeen-foot bolt-on three-bladed propellers. Signs on her stern rails warn of their strength. The men in the foreground and those on the aft docking bridge provide a sense of scale. After more than three years of construction, fitting out, and intricate decoration, she was finally leaving the Swan yards for Liverpool and Cunard. (Unique, anonymous private photograph. Personal collection.)

The Mauretania, surrounded by numerous small craft and thousands of spectators onshore, passing down the Tyne late in the afternoon of October 22, 1907. She arrived at Liverpool for the first time two days later on the morning of October 24. (Unique, anonymous private photograph. Personal collection.)

No longer being towed, the Mauretania completes a turn at speed on October 22 or 23 in the North Sea during her trip to Liverpool. Not yet provisioned for her first crossing, she is riding high. The performance of her boilers, turbines, and several other measurements were informally recorded. On October 23, it was entered into the log that she had reached a maximum of 21.9 knots. (Unique, anonymous private photograph. Personal collection.)

Having completed her delivery voyage and after her early-morning maiden arrival at the Liverpool Docks on October 24, the Mauretania awaits placement in the Canada Dry Dock. Her “B” Deck promenades are covered with canvas awnings, probably from coaling. The date of this postcard image was determined by comparison with an identical image from a personal keepsake photo album documenting this voyage and presented to Leonard Peskett By W. Earnest Lord after this “jolly trip” (so noted in the album) to Liverpool. (Anonymous, real-photograph postcard. Personal collection.)

I hope you enjoyed this information :D

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Re: Mauretania's Delivery Trip "North About" Oct. 22, 1907

Postby Atlantic1912 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Eric, a wonderful post about a great ship!
Atlantic1912

Postby VW1956 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello Eric. Real great thread. Thanks for posting the wonderful pictures. In picture number three smoke can be seen from the rear three funnels. Does that mean that the other funnel is a dummy? Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:21 am

Hi Atlantic1912 and Ken,

I am glad you both enjoyed the post. No, Ken, that funnel is quite functional. She is still being handled by tugs in that photo. That photo was taken just after 2 p.m. and there was still an 80 minute, 10 mile trip to Tynemouth.

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:44 am

Hello Eric. I been looking at these great pictures again this morning. Am getting to like the look of the Mauretania. I feel like I'm having an affair, but No. the Olympic sisters are my true love. And I've just realised why the Olympic class ships look so good. They dont have those huge air intakes. After getting used to reading and watching the Olympic class ships those air intakes look out of scale. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Ken, All,

Here is another unseen candid from this day for today's anniversary. :D
She would arrive at Liverpool on the 24th, and then undergo her official sea trials at Skelmorlie. Then back to Liverpool for provisioning and then the maiden voyage to New York on November 16, 1907. I believe she left the stage at 7:30 pm to about 50,000 onlookers who gathered in the rain to see this marvel head out.

OCT 22 1907 for TIT.jpg
OCT 22 1907 for TIT.jpg (47.24 KiB) Viewed 806 times

The Mauretania on the morning of October 22, 1907 preparing to leave the Swan Hunter yards. © Eric Keith Longo
Left click to see the whole image.

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 am

HI Eric.

Was all 4 funnels real on Mauritania? I had notice with one of your images, that the first funnel is not lit' the other three are indeed lit. The first funnel fake?
"Titanic gives impression of secrecy and mystique"
Aly Jones

Postby The Walrus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

No, they all had a 40-a-day habit.
The Walrus

Postby Eric K. Longo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Aly :)

All functional!

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby Aly Jones » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 am

The Walrus wrote:No, they all had a 40-a-day habit.

?
Aly Jones

Postby Aly Jones » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 am

Eric, that means Mauritania and leusritania are real 4 stackter vessels unlike the Olympic class liners.
Aly Jones

Postby Eric K. Longo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 am

Hi Aly,

The Walrus says these stacks smoked a heck of a lot! He is obviously familiar with the deep science which shows that burning roughly 800-900 ton of coal equals about two packs of smokes a day (so don't smoke!). ;)
Aly, In these photos and especially the September 17th informal trials photos a month before that's quite true - new boilers - so lots burning off!

Best wishes,
Eric

PS for Walrus: I think there is someone in here who told me a ship related Lennon story about a signed bottle and rough seas. I have met Yoko a few times too - very nice Lady. Are you a "Tomorrow Never Knows" or a "Well, Well Well" kind of guy?
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Aly Jones wrote:
The Walrus wrote:No, they all had a 40-a-day habit.

?

Hello Aly. Dont know if you worked out the 40 a day habit yet. But it means someone who smokes 40 cigarettes a day. Ken.
VW1956

Return to Cunard Line