James Kirkham Greaser

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

James Kirkham Greaser

Postby anne kirkham » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum although I've been researching James Kirkham Greaser on RMS Titanic for some time.

He is listed on the crew sign on sheets as aged 39, born in Liverpool and gave his address as 4 Chapel St, Southampton and indicated that his previous ship was the Oceanic .He went down with the ship and his body was never recovered. Payments were made to his widow Mrs Jane Kirkham. I think I have traced his marriage but the marriage certificate suggests that he would be 44/45 yrs old in 1912.

How accurate are the crew lists as far as age & address? Is it possible to find crew lists for the Oceanic?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Anne
anne kirkham

Re: James Kirkham Greaser

Postby hermann soeldner » Thu May 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi Anne,

the crew lists are in nearly all cases correct as far as the address is concerned, but not the given ages. Some gave it correct, some did not. The older someone was the more unreliable his age. In many cases it was better to give a downsized age to get the job. Most of the stewards ages differ about five years from their real ages. One of the most extreme figure I came across is Sarah Agnes Stap who gave 31 but was 47. The ages given in the censuses are 99% correct, Nevertheless even here the older the more unreliable. I think Kirkham was older than his given 39. The address he gave was only a boarding address. Are you sure that the name of his wife was Jane?

The crew lists of the Oceanic are hold at the PRO in Kew. You can search their catalogue online, e.g. Oceanic January 1912 to August 1912 is reference number BT 100/135. 1910 is BT 100/131 to 132. 1911 is BT 100/133 to 134. 1912. The lists start with 1899.

Hermann
hermann soeldner

Postby Lester » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Evening Hermann,

Nice to see you posting. Hope you have been keeping well.

With my Best Wishes.
Regards,
Lester
Lester

Postby hermann soeldner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello Lester,

it's good to hear from you again, I hope you are also well. After years of cutting down my Titanic research, I am continuing a bit. Kirkham is one of those I have no pieces of information.

With my best wishes

Hermann
hermann soeldner

Postby Lester » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi Hermann,

Not too bad thank you. I have continued to concentrate on the numbers.

Mette's book on the Danish passengers has just been published: Titanic De Danske Fortaellinger. Unfortunately it is in Danish.

Are copies of your RMS Titanic Passenger and Crew List book still available? And if so from where?

Regards,
Lester
Lester

Postby VW1956 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Hello Lester. Dont know where in the world you live but Southampton Maritime Museum should have the books you need. Other than that it's down to e-bay or Amazon. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Lester » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi Ken,

Thank you. I'm in New Zealand and I am specifically looking for a copy of Hermann's book on behalf of a friend. I have had my own now well thumbed autographed copy since January 2001.

Lester
Lester

Postby hermann soeldner » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Lester,

copies of my list are no longer available. Looking at it from now, twelve years later, it's hoplessly outdated. I am still waiting for the two books of books, but it seems that we have to wait some more years. I have updated the list just for myself. Alone the crew needed a very massive updating. Among them is James Kirkham as well.

Best wishes

Hermann
hermann soeldner

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers