Merseyside Maritime Museum-Titanic exhibition

Dicsuss Titanic Exhibitions here.

Merseyside Maritime Museum-Titanic exhibition

Postby SeaTravel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:17 pm

If anyone happens to go to Liverpool the Maritime Museum is free and well worth a visit. There is a section on Titanic and other famous ships, history of shipping in Liverpool and the docks themselves have sailing ships docked- sometimes there are crew there who will talk to visitors about their ships. I was talking to a fellow yesterday who has a sailing ship dated from 1900. I also went to a free Titanic event- a lady acting the part of a first class passenger- it was very good indeed.
The exhibition on Titanic is beautifully done, the lighting is soft and there is music playing which creates atmosphere as you look at Titanic artifacts- they include a tiny pair of men's spectacles, a life jacket, Lady Duff Gordon's maid's apron, a life boat name plate and even the builder's model of Titanic which is very beautiful.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mari ... apron.aspx

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mari ... ns/liners/

Next March Titanic will have a bigger new exhibition! I am looking forward to this!

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mari ... s/Titanic/

And of course the White Star office building in James Street is still there to see.
SeaTravel

Re: Merseyside Maritime Museum-Titanic exhibition

Postby VW1956 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Hello SeaTravel. Thanks for this great news. There certainly is going to be many Titanic themed exibitions next year. Ken.
VW1956

Postby VW1956 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Hello SeaTravel. I also meant to say that I did visit the Merseyside Maritime Museum three years ago. Really loved that model of Titanic. The lifeboat nameplate was what I thought the most important item. Will certainly be up to see the exibition next year. Ken.
VW1956

Postby SeaTravel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 am

Glad you liked the exhibition Ken. I'm so looking forward to the new exhibition. I am fascinated by the life boat name plate- I have stood looking at it for awhile each time I go. The model is great isn't it!
SeaTravel

Postby titanicobsesser » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:22 pm

really enjoyed the visits there but when i went there as a kid the Titanic part was much bigger and had more artifacts from the ship i assume they went to other museums
(i think they had the hull at some point)
titanicobsesser

Postby VW1956 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Seatravel. I was reading about the history of the model Titanic that is in the Liverpool maratime museum. It is amazing that it is still here. Iseem to remember that it started out as a model of Olympic. Went with Olympic in 1935 to be scrapped (WHY) but then turns up in Blackpool in 1951 gets refurbished not very well gets refurbished again and now it is Titanic. This sounds like the switch theory. Maybe this is what the switch theory was all about, models, and not the real ships.

Hello Titanicobsesser. I hope you are wrong when you say "they had the hull at some point". I know the big piece has been around so if your right that means I missed seeing it. Ken.
VW1956

Postby martinfbrown » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi,
Just joined the forum. I will be visiting Liverpool in a couple of weeks time. I will be going to see the exhibition in the maritime museum:Titanic and Liverpool The untold story.
Martin
martinfbrown

Postby VW1956 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Hello. I will be there on April 5th and arriving on the good ship Balmoral. I feel so posh writing that. I cant wait to see that model of Titanic now that I know the history of it. Ken.
VW1956

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I will be visiting the Merseyside Maritime museum and also going to look at where the old White Star Line offices were in James Street next month with some friends from the charity shop where I work. Can anyone tell me what the exhibition is like and is it a good one? I am counting the days now I am really looking forward to it being a Titanic nut!
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Postby VW1956 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Hello Denise. It is definitley worth a visit. There are a few things that were on Titanic but these things never sank. There very important items from the lifeboats. There is a picture of Molly Brown giving Captain Rostron the loving cup for his efforts on that night but right next to the photograph is the actual cup. You cant miss the old White Star Line offices as it is the best looking building in Liverpool. Have a great trip. Ken.
VW1956

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks for that Ken. I will let you know all about it after I have been. I have seen photographs of the building 30 James Street on the internet but have never seen it in the flesh so to speak. It looks a fabulous building from the pictures so I look forward to going there to see it. I have never been to the Maritime Museum either so that will be an experience to savour too.
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Postby The Walrus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 pm

It is a good exhibit overall, but the only Titanic exhibit they have of any real merit (other than a lifejacket and a lifeboat nameplate) is the Harland & Wolff Titanic model which was used as a reference during construction. I went to the museum when the exhibit was first made a "Headlining" feature and they had the Crow's Nest Bell, but that's gone back to Greenwich and Liverpool now exhibits the mould used to cast it (incidentally, the Lusitania's bell is im the Imperial War Museum North on Salford Quays - worth a visit).
The model of Lusitania made by said ship's carpenter from said ship's handrail is a must see, and Mauretania's Nameplate across the back wall is a nice touch also.

Don't forget to go down Mathew Street!
The Walrus

Postby VW1956 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Hello The Walrus. This surely could not be the crows nest bell from Titanic. That belongs to RMS Titanic. But the model you mention is really interesting especially when you know the history of this model. Ashamed to say I did not know of the Lusitania's links. Ken.
VW1956

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Just writing to let you know I will be going to the Merseyside Maritime Museum on the 12 October this works out perfectly as it is the day before my birthday. I will be going with three friends from the charity shop where I work. We will also visit James Street to see where the old White Star Line offices were. I am really looking forward to it as I have never been. I am quite excited about seeing the loving cup that was presented by survivors of the disaster to Captain Rostron. Somehow it will make the story that bit more real seeing things like that in the flesh so to speak. I will let you know after I have been what it was like.
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Postby VW1956 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Hello Denise. I know exactly what you mean when you say it makes the story seem more real by seeing things in the flesh. Seeing the loving cup right next to the picture of it being presented to Captain Rostron was so nice. Thats also how I feel when I see the toy pig that gets told about in books. Ken.
VW1956

Next

Return to Titanic Exhibitions